Ancillary Products & Value-Added Services
DAKOTACARE provides a variety of benefits and services to meet the needs of small and large businesses, no matter the size. Ancillary products and value-added services available include:
Term Life Insurance
By adding term or supplemental term life insurance from DAKOTACARE’s partner carriers, employers can give employees the peace of mind that comes from knowing their loved ones are protected. Employers also get a valuable corporate tax deduction and easy-to-use services, because DAKOTACARE handles the plan administration.
Talk with your employer clients about tailoring basic coverage to fit the needs of their employee group. Most group term insurance policies include an amount of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance equal to the amount of life insurance. A benefit schedule may be based on a:
- Fixed dollar amount
- Job classification
- Salary multiplier
You’ll also want to discuss Waiver of Premium Benefits, an option available if an employee becomes totally disabled before age 60 and remains disabled for six months.
Additional life insurance benefit options include:
- Accelerated Death Benefit – For a terminally ill employee with life expectancy of 12 months or less; pays a portion of life insurance benefit while employee is still living
- NOTE: This benefit may create taxable income or may adversely affect employee eligibility for Medicaid or other government benefits or entitlements; anyone thinking of filing for accelerated death benefit should obtain professional tax counsel first
- Extension Coverage, Conversion Coverage – Options that become effective when an employee is no longer working due to disability
Supplemental Term Life Insurance
With the Supplemental Term Life insurance benefit, employees get the opportunity to purchase additional life insurance coverage beyond the amount provided by a Basic Group Term Life insurance plan. Options for providing this benefit include:
- Voluntary – Employee pays entire premium
- Coverage for employees, spouses, dependent children
Requirements for eligibility, participation, and group size vary by carrier.
Life insurance is not available for individual purchase through DAKOTACARE.
Dental insurance—one of the most desired benefits—gives employers a way to provide employees with access to regular preventive care, such as teeth cleanings and fluoride treatments, as well as other dental services. Because maintaining good oral hygiene contributes to overall health, offering dental coverage to employees can reduce health-related absenteeism and help employees avoid major health problems in other areas.
Employers with a DAKOTACARE group plan can add dental insurance from our partner, Companion Insurance Company, with coverage options such as:
- Voluntary Dental – For as few as three employees
- Small Group Dental – For groups of two to nine, with a minimum of two employees; requires employer participation in premium payment
- True Dental – For groups of 10 or more; plans customized to fit your employer/employee needs
- Requires employer participation in premium payment
- Requires minimum of 50 percent employee enrollment
- Also available on a voluntary basis, where employee pays 100 percent of premium, with 20 percent enrollment required
All DAKOTACARE dental plans offer the convenience of payroll deduction for premiums and the freedom of provider choice.
Workplace safety and productivity requires good vision. However, eyesight transforms throughout our lives due to genetics, extensive close-vision work, and the aging process. Employers can help workers maintain good eye health by providing insurance to cover vision care services.
Flexible Spending Account
Through DAKOTACARE, employers can offer accounts that employees can take advantage of in order to save on taxes and pay for qualified medical, prescription, dental and vision expenses. A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-favorable benefit option that gives members the option to set aside funds for unreimbursed medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
GreatLIFE Golf & Fitness Club
Members may be eligible to receive discounts or memberships to GreatLIFE Golf & Fitness Club locations in South Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota.
DAKOTACARE Value Plus provides additional discounts to HMO plan members on services, including:
- Quality eye care with Vision Service Plan (VSP) or EyeMed Vision Care
- Weight loss management activities and information from Weight Watchers®
- Travel assistance and emergency evacuation services through Travel Guard
Employers can offer their employees 24/7 access to AveraNow virtual provider visits for urgent care.
Interested in adding an ancillary product to your business? Request a quote from DAKOTACARE.